This complete stainless steel kit arrived from the UK a few weeks ago & I’m only getting around to labeling & sorting it all out. Tedious.
This Li is being upgraded to a 175 to give it a little bit more power in addition to also modernizing the electrics from 6v to 12v electrics. I have some extra work to do to the stator plate so I am moving on to installing the cylinder & piston.
Here’s all the parts ready to be installed including a brand new Mahle 175 piston, made in August 1981! Gotta live new old stock.
Got the rear brake & the brake can fitted.
After 62 days I have returned to finish off my Lambretta Li50 engine.
Today’s task? Clean up then start on refitting the piston, barrel & if I have time fit the stator plate.
I am picking up the first lot of painted goodies of the Lambretta Li150 from Spencer the Painter tomorrow, I saw it in the flesh earlier in the week and it looks AWESOME. But have to wait till a few little imperfections were fixed.
So tomorrow or Saturday I pick it up and can start the rebuild process.
The shots below are a series of before, with undercaot and after with the new paint scheme applied. Also, I decided to go with a Black Satin powdercoat for the parts that sit underneath the side panels, I just thought that there would be too much grey. So the petrol tank, glove box, rear mud guard, airbox + the engine cowlings will all be Satin Black.
Plus I decided to give the rims and center stand a coat of Satin Black as well
Headset Top – Before, with undercoat & finished
Headset Bottom – Before, with undercoat & finished
Frame – Before, with undercoat & finished
Forks – Before, with undercoat & finished
These front dampeners came off my SX150 and will be going onto the Li150′s forks when I get them back from the painter, for some strange reason they had been painited a grey colour and once the paint was removed is a great set of stainless steel dampners, dont even need to chrome them.
I took the time to strip the paint off using the wire wheel and then gave them a polish using one of the polishing wheels, both of these where undertaken on my bench grinder, thats been a great investment!
The linkage mounts will have to be chromed as they did not come up as good as I wanted them to.
Parts all laid out for the rebuild of the chancase, all the external parts were cleaned using a wire wheel on the bench grinder, which was time consuming but well worth the effort.
Kick start installed
Clutch arm installed
Nearly done, test fitting the kick start
Test fitting the refurbished exhuast & the alan bolts for correct fitting. I had it sandblasted and sprayed it with heat resistant paint, I amy even change the coliur before the final fitting. Thinking fire angine red or possibly orange.
After 2 minutes on the polishing wheel, quite amazing.
Before spending 2 minutes on the buffer!
I had posted a question on the Lambretta Club of Australia Forum about what to do with my Dev Tour Exhaust, when it arrived from the UK it came looking very rough indeed. The burn marks on each of the welds really stick out for me and I was not very happy about it, particularly when you see some really sparkling exhausts on Lambretta’s these days, plus it looked a lot shinier on the web site that I bought it from.
Anyway, the general consensus from the local enthusiasts was to polish it. I looked into doing this myself to save a few bucks but in the end I was up for three types of polishing compound, and extra polishing wheel for my angle grinder, so it made more sense to give it to an expert.
A few phone calls later and the exhaust was dropped off to Derek at TigMig in Brookvale for some initial testing to see if this would work & boy did it.
You can clearly see the results of 1 minute on the buffing wheel this below, the weld in the middle of the shot was on the buffing wheel for no more than a minute and you can see what it looked like based on the weld on the top right of the picture.
The other two shots are a before and after of the worst effected burn marks, came up a treat.
Needless to say I left it with him to finish off the whole exhaust.