This complete stainless steel kit arrived from the UK a few weeks ago & I’m only getting around to labeling & sorting it all out. Tedious.
This Li is being upgraded to a 175 to give it a little bit more power in addition to also modernizing the electrics from 6v to 12v electrics. I have some extra work to do to the stator plate so I am moving on to installing the cylinder & piston.
Here’s all the parts ready to be installed including a brand new Mahle 175 piston, made in August 1981! Gotta live new old stock.
Got the rear brake & the brake can fitted.
After 62 days I have returned to finish off my Lambretta Li50 engine.
Today’s task? Clean up then start on refitting the piston, barrel & if I have time fit the stator plate.
I am picking up the first lot of painted goodies of the Lambretta Li150 from Spencer the Painter tomorrow, I saw it in the flesh earlier in the week and it looks AWESOME. But have to wait till a few little imperfections were fixed.
So tomorrow or Saturday I pick it up and can start the rebuild process.
The shots below are a series of before, with undercaot and after with the new paint scheme applied. Also, I decided to go with a Black Satin powdercoat for the parts that sit underneath the side panels, I just thought that there would be too much grey. So the petrol tank, glove box, rear mud guard, airbox + the engine cowlings will all be Satin Black.
Plus I decided to give the rims and center stand a coat of Satin Black as well
Headset Top – Before, with undercoat & finished
Headset Bottom – Before, with undercoat & finished
Frame – Before, with undercoat & finished
Forks – Before, with undercoat & finished
These front dampeners came off my SX150 and will be going onto the Li150′s forks when I get them back from the painter, for some strange reason they had been painited a grey colour and once the paint was removed is a great set of stainless steel dampners, dont even need to chrome them.
I took the time to strip the paint off using the wire wheel and then gave them a polish using one of the polishing wheels, both of these where undertaken on my bench grinder, thats been a great investment!
The linkage mounts will have to be chromed as they did not come up as good as I wanted them to.
Parts all laid out for the rebuild of the chancase, all the external parts were cleaned using a wire wheel on the bench grinder, which was time consuming but well worth the effort.
Kick start installed
Clutch arm installed
Nearly done, test fitting the kick start
Test fitting the refurbished exhuast & the alan bolts for correct fitting. I had it sandblasted and sprayed it with heat resistant paint, I amy even change the coliur before the final fitting. Thinking fire angine red or possibly orange.
What looked a little daunting at first was actually quite simple, installing the front sprocket was made easy by marking it out first so that the two parts lined up when winding in the bolt.
Here are all the parts ready to rebuild the clucth, the cork plate soaked in gear oil for a few days.
Rear sprocket installed with its roller barings, chain fitted & tensioners tightend up.
New springs installed.
Clutch Bell installed
Adding the cork & steel plates
All done, clutch installed.
The rear sprocket, chain & chain guides are now installed, next up is the clutch rebuild.